This page has been moved to a new address. Redirecting.... Fit Girl Fare: Tilapia Tacos with Guacamole

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Tilapia Tacos with Guacamole

I’m back! Sorry for the prolonged absence – our wedding was a blast and I can’t believe it’s over! Afterwards, we spent a few days in West Virginia at a beautiful cabin with picture perfect views. I thought we would hike and go to restaurants and explore, but we slept, a lot. I didn’t realize how exhausted I was until we got to the cabin on Sunday after the wedding. I am so glad that we didn’t try to take an extravagant honeymoon right away – and now we will have a chance to pretend to be newlyweds again this fall when we do take our honeymoon! We have had quite a bit going on with house projects and puppy class and I haven’t had all that much time for cooking fun things, but in honor of Cinco de Mayo yesterday, I thought I would post this fish taco recipe that I whipped up last week. First, some puppy pictures because he is just too cute.

 
 
Even though the wedding is over and I’m not on wedding diet mode anymore, I have still been keeping up with my healthy living attitude. Fish has become a regular protein for us and, surprisingly, we are both loving it.


I had planned on making a cabbage slaw to go on top but I didn’t have time to go to the store to get the ingredients. In my opinion it wound up better with just the homemade guacamole – sometimes less is more!

Tilapia Tacos
Total Time 20 minutes
Makes about 8 tacos

For the Fish:
4 4oz Tilapia Filets
1 ½ tsp cumin
1 ½ tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
8 corn tortillas

Mix all of the spices together and coat the tilapia filets. Heat about 1 tsp of oil over medium heat. Add the fish and cook 3-4 minutes a side depending on the thickness of the fish. Remove the fish and set it aside. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and put another teaspoon of oil and heat over medium heat. Fry the tortillas (I had to do 2 at a time because of the size of my pan) for about a minute each side. You don’t want them to get brown, just warmed up and a little crispy.

For the guacamole:
2 avocados
1 small jalapeño
Juice of 1 lime
2 tbs cilantro
½ tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste (I added about ½ tsp pepper and almost a teaspoon of salt)

Remove the seeds and mince the jalapeno and put it into a bowl with the lime juice, cilantro, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. I find that if you let the jalapeno sit in the lime juice it’s not quite as pungently spicy. I let mine sit for about 10 minutes while I was cooking the fish. Then add the avocado and mash it all together. I like my guacamole pretty chunky so I used a fork and just mashed it lightly. If you like yours creamier, you can always put it in a blender or use an emersion blender.

To assemble:
Take one tortilla and break apart half of one tilapia filet into chunks (it should just fall apart pretty easily). Set the fish in the middle of the tortilla and top with about a tablespoon (or more!) of guacamole. Serve with brown rice and black beans (black bean recipe to come!). Enjoy!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home