This page has been moved to a new address. Redirecting.... Fit Girl Fare: Falafel

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Falafel

I really enjoy Middle Eastern foods. The combination of spices that they use is probably my favorite. Last year, I went on a kick where all I was ever hungry for was Middle Eastern food. When we lived in Arlington, we had access to several delicious kabob houses and ordered take out way too often. Since moving to Reston, the kabob take out choices are slim. Luckily, I have learned how to make most of my favorite dishes! In keeping with my new rule to eat vegetarian once a week, this week I made Falafel.  Made with just chickpeas, this recipe is not only vegetarian, it's also vegan and gluten free. However, the best way to eat falafel is in a pita, lathered with tatziki sauce - no longer vegan or gluten free. Still a healthy, vegetarian meal though!

Fit Girl Falafel

I read a lot of recipes for falafel and some called for flour, some called for an egg, some called for both. It seemed to be the consensus that in order to make a good falafel you needed to start with dried beans that you soak for at least 8 hours or overnight.


When I've had falafel at a restaurant it is usually a small ball that has been fried. For these, I decided that a thicker patty would be much more conducive to putting in a pita. I also skipped the frying and baked my falafel patties instead. I didn't feel that I was missing out on much by baking instead of frying - other than the mess in my kitchen.




Falafel
Prep time: 8hrs, 10 minutes (includes 8 hour soak time for the beans)
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Makes about 8 medium patties

1lb dried chickpeas, soaked for at least 8 hours or overnight
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
2 tbsp fresh parsley
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp cumin
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp olive oil

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Put all of the ingredients into a blender or a food processor. Blend until it is all pureed, making sure there are no large chunks of beans remaining. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and rub with olive oil. Form the puree into medium sized patties and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping the patties about half way through (they should get a little bit brown on the top).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home