This page has been moved to a new address. Redirecting.... Fit Girl Fare: Bacon & Egg Spaghetti

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Bacon & Egg Spaghetti

Today was one of those days where I was hungry all day. I felt like I ate constantly throughout the day and yet still came home from work famished. When I get hungry like that it seems like I want to eat everything and yet, at the same time, I can't decide what to eat. It is a struggle. Usually when this happens I force my fiance to order take out or insist that we go out to dinner. Tonight, however, I did not feel like doing either of those things. I wanted something delicious and quick.


Bacon & Egg Spaghetti was one of my favorite things growing up. I will never forget one day when I was probably 6 and I had my best friend over for a sleepover. I told her we were having Bacon & Egg Spaghetti for dinner she looked at me like I was an alien. I mean bacon & eggs with spaghetti? It does sound pretty weird.

Fit Girl Bacon Egg Spahetti

For a long time I thought that this meal was pretty much a lazy person's pasta carbonara. While it may be similar, they are definitely not the same. One thing I like about Bacon & Egg Spaghetti compared to pasta carbonara is that this recipe is much lighter. I am all about volume when it comes to food. I like things that I can eat a lot of without feeling guilty. With this recipe, I can eat 2 big servings without feeling like I have to exercise for an hour to make up for it.

Bacon & Egg Spaghetti
Time: 25 minutes


5 slices of bacon
1 pound of pasta (You can use any kind of pasta you would like. I generally make spaghetti or linguine but I have made it with penne, elbows, and bowties and it is equally delicious)
1 cup frozen peas
3 eggs, whipped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced

Cut the bacon into small strips and cook until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate to get rid of the excess fat.

Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. During the last 1-2 minutes of cooking time, add the frozen peas. Before you drain the pasta, make sure to reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid.

While the pasta is cooking, beat the eggs with the salt and pepper. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and then put it back into the pot. Add the eggs and the cheese to the pasta and mix well. You will notice that the egg starts to cook almost right away. Add about 1/2 a cup of the reserved pasta water and stir. Put the lid back on the pot and let it sit for about 10 minutes so that the egg can cook fully.

At this point you can add the rest of the reserved pasta water if it needs it. It should be creamy, but not watery. Add the bacon and the parsley and mix it up. Serve with some more Parmesan cheese on top if desired. Enjoy!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home