This page has been moved to a new address. Redirecting.... Fit Girl Fare: Spinach Pie

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Spinach Pie

In my effort to be healthier, I decided that I was going to eat vegetarian one day a week. By default, this means that my fiance will be subjected to one meatless meal a week. In order to keep him on board with this plan, I need to be creative and cook meals where he won't even think about the fact that there is no meat (although, he told me he will just make sure he has a meaty lunch on vegetarian day). While this recipe may not win a gold star for being healthy, it's vegetarian and it's easy.

Fit Girl Spinach Pie


My mom used to make this meal when I was growing up so it has become somewhat of a comfort food for me. One thing that I have changed from my mom's recipe is that I like to use fresh spinach. My mom always used frozen spinach because then she would always have the ingredients on hand whenever she needed a quick, easy meal.


I also make a point to buy the part skim ricotta cheese. It cuts the calories without sacrificing any taste. I have also made this using cheeses other than Cheddar. Swiss or Gruyere is delicious and so is Feta. My personal favorite however is a combination of Sharp Cheddar and Parmesan.

Fit Girl Spinach Pie


Sometimes I do cheat a little bit and use a pre-made pie crust. In my opinion the Pillsbury refrigerated crust is almost as good as homemade. 

Spinach Pie
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 2 hours (includes cooling time and cooking time)
Serves 4-6

1 pie crust
1 16oz package of fresh Spinach
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 eggs
1 15 oz container ricotta cheese
3 tbsp flour
1 cup cheddar cheese (or a different cheese if you would prefer)

Wash the spinach and then give it a rough chop. Heat the oil over medium heat and add the onions. Saute until almost translucent. Add the fresh spinach and saute another 10 minutes until the spinach is completely cooked down. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and cook for another 30 seconds or until the garlic is fragrant. Remove from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Meanwhile, combine ricotta, eggs, flour, and cheddar cheese in a medium bowl. When the spinach mixture has cool add it to the cheese and eggs. Mix until well combined. Line a pie plate with the pie crust and pour the filling into the crust. Put it into the oven and cook for 40-50 minutes until it is just starting to get brown on top. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home